To sign up to receive our emails, fill in the following fields and hit submit. Thanks, and welcome!
In The Beginning
The problem of homelessness gained local recognition 30+ years ago as downtown merchants noted individuals sleeping in nearby woods and loitering about during business hours. In 1981 the Boone Coalition of Churches, consisting of Grace Lutheran, Boone United Methodist, First Baptist, First Presbyterian, St. Luke's Episcopal and St. Elizabeth's came together and identified the need for a true shelter.
After a period of temporary shelter in the six local churches, a more permanent solution, Hospitality House of the Boone Area, Inc. opened to shelter homleless people in 1984. The original Hospitality House Shelter, located on King Street in downtown Boone, was built in 1917 and given as a gift from an anonymous doner in 1984.